Thursday, March 11, 2010

Yellow-throated Warbler at Everglades


Once in a while, we all get lucky. Well, today was my lucky day. I had my best-ever drive-by birding sighting to date. It happened around 10 a.m. as I was driving to the entrance booth at Everglades National Park, Eastern Entrance, when I saw this amazing little bird with a screaming orange throat, like fire, land a few feet away from me, on a concrete barrier. I believe the bird is a Yellow-throated warbler, though originally I thought it was a Blackburnian warbler. Perhaps it is breeding, causing the yellow throat to appear more orange.

I had to act quick, so with one hand on the wheel, I stopped the car, grabbed my digital camera out of my purse - fumbling like a madwoman - pointed and shot. Unfortunately in my haste I moved the camera setting dial to "sunset" so the photo is not crisp. I only had one shot before my bright little feathered friend flitted away. At least I have a lasting image to remember him!

1 comment: