Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Birds of Brazil

Dusky-legged Guan, Serra dos Orgoas (The Organ Range), Brazil
Plush-crested Jay, Iguacu Falls, Brazil
Green-headed Tanager at Iguacu Falls, Brazil

A few years ago my husband and I visited Iguacu Falls and the city of Rio in Brazil, where we saw beautiful birds. At Iguacu Falls, one of the most magnificent series of falls in the world, we strolled along the lush mountain paths that run along the falls, listening to the pounding of the cascading water and enjoying the mist on our faces. We saw a lot of egrets, herons and hawks, but one of my favorite birds was the tiny Green-headed tanager. We saw a few of these exquisite creatures fluttering about at the edge of the rainforest path and I tried to get a good photo. Unfortunately they were too fast for me. But I will always remember the brilliant colors of its feathers - emerald and sea greens, bright blues, violet and sunshine yellow.

When we were in Rio, we took a guided hike in the nearby mountains called "The Organ Range," where we saw dozens of species including the Rufous hornero, Masked water tyrant, Green-barred woodpecker and Planalto hermit. One of the birds I'll remember most is the Dusky-legged guan, a giant fowl that looks like a turkey. In Brazil they are called Jacuacu. They are big blackish birds with a green sheen and they live in the woods, where they go about making a loud "kraah, kraah, krah," so that they are very easily spotted by passing hikers like myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment